- Social Experimentation
- Social Program Evaluation
“Have Welfare-to-Work Programs Improved Over Time in Putting Welfare Recipients to Work?” (with D. Greenberg), Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 64 (5), October 2011, pp. 920-930.
“Beauty and the Labor Market: Accounting for the Additional Effects of Personality and Grooming,” (with M. French and J. Homer), Labour, 25 (2), June 2011, pp. 228-251.
“Who Should Care for Our Kids? The Effects of Infant Child Care on Early Child Development,” (with D. Peng), Journal of Children and Poverty, 16 (1), March 2010, pp. 1-45.
“Effects of Physical Attractiveness, Personality, and Grooming on Academic Performance in High School,” (with M. French, J. Homer, and L. Tapsell), Labour Economics, 16 (4), August 2009, pp. 373-382.
“Are Two Carrots Better Than One? The Effects of Adding Employment Services to Financial Incentive Programs for Welfare Recipients,” (with C. Michalopoulos and K. Foley), Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 61 (3), April 2008, pp. 410-423.
“Incorporating Nonmarket Time Into Benefit-Cost Analyses of Social Programs: An Application to the Self-Sufficiency Project,” (with D. Greenberg), Journal of Public Economics, 92 (3-4), April 2008, pp. 766-794.
“How Important are 'Entry Effects' in Financial Incentive Programs for Welfare Recipients? Experimental Evidence from the Self-Sufficiency Project,” (with D. Card), Journal of Econometrics, 125 (1-2), March 2005, pp. 113-139.
“Making Work Pay for Itself: Evidence from a Randomized Social Experiment for Welfare Recipients,” (with D. Card and C. Michalopoulos), Journal of Public Economics, 89 (1), January 2005, pp. 5-29.
“What Happens to the Effects of Government-Funded Training Programs Over Time?” (with D. Greenberg and C. Michalopoulos), The Journal of Human Resources, 39 (1), Winter 2004, pp. 277-293.
“A Meta-Analysis of Government-Sponsored Training Programs,” (with D. Greenberg and C. Michalopoulos), Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 57 (1), October 2003, pp. 31-53.
Teaching and Professional Experience
- Research Affiliate, Institute for Research on Poverty at the University of Wisconsin
- Senior Research Affiliate, National Poverty Center, Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy, University of Michigan
- Visiting Professor, Centre for Research in Social Policy (CRSP), Loughborough University, Loughborough, United Kingdom
- Past Chair, Department of Economics, University of Miami
- Senior Economist, SRI International
- Research Economist, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
- Consultant to several agencies and organizations
- Ph.D., Economics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1972
- M.S., Economics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1970
- B.S., Economics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1966
- Labor economics
- Economic Analysis of Social Programs