- Behavioral Finance
- Empirical Asset Pricing
- Corporate Finance
- Computational Economics
Political Sentiment and Predictable Returns (with Jawad Addoum). Review of Financial Studies, Forthcoming.
Network Analysis of Search Dynamics: The Case of Stock Habitats (with Ashish Agarwal, Prabhudev Konana, and Alvin Leung). Management Science, Forthcoming.
Co-Search Attention and Stock Return Predictability in Supply-Chains (with Ashish Agarwal, Prabhudev Konana, and Alvin Leung). Information Systems Research, Forthcoming.
What is in a Name? Mutual Fund Flows When Managers Have Foreign Sounding Names (with Alexandra Niessen-Ruenzi and Oliver Spalt), 2015, Review of Financial Studies, 28 (8), 2281-2321.
Political Activism, Information Costs, and Stock Market Participation (with Yosef Bonaparte), 2013, Journal of Financial Economics, 107 (3), 760-786.
State-Level Business Cycles and Local Return Predictability (with George Korniotis), 2013, Journal of Finance, 68 (3), 1037-1096.
Religious Beliefs, Gambling Attitudes, and Financial Market Outcomes (with Jeremy Page and Oliver Spalt), 2011, Journal of Financial Economics, 102 (3), 671-708, 2011.
Behavioral Biases of Mutual Fund Investors (withWarren Bailey and David Ng). Journal of Financial Economics, 102 (1), 1-27, 2011. Lead Article.
Do Behavioral Biases Adversely Affect the Macro-Economy? (with George Korniotis), Review of Financial Studies, 24 (5), 1513-1559, 2011.
Do Older Investors Make Better Investment Decisions? (with George Korniotis), Review of Economics and Statistics, 93 (1), 244-265, 2011.
Self-Selection and the Forecasting Abilities of Female Equity Analysts, Journal of Accounting Research, 48 (2), 393-435, 2010.
Idiosyncratic Volatility Puzzle: Time Trend or Speculative Episodes? (with Alon Brav, Michael Brandt, and John Graham), Review of Financial Studies, 23 (2), 863-899, 2010.
Hard-To-Value Stocks, Behavioral Biases, and Informed Trading, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 44 (6), 1375-1401, 2009.
Dynamic Style Preferences of Individual Investors and Stock Returns, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 44 (3), 607-640, 2009.
Who Gambles in the Stock Market? Journal of Finance, 64 (4), 1889-1933, 2009.
How do Decision Frames Influence the Stock Investment Choices of Individual Investors? (with Sonya Lim), Management Science, 54 (6), 1052-1064, 2008.
Foreign Investments of U.S. Individual Investors: Causes and Consequences (with Warren Bailey and David T. Ng), Management Science, 54 (3), 443-459, 2008.
Retail Investor Sentiment and Return Comovements (with Charles Lee), Journal of Finance, 61 (5), 2451-2486, 2006.
Do Dividend Clienteles Exist? Evidence on Dividend Preferences of Retail Investors (with John Graham), Journal of Finance, 61 (3), 1305-1336, 2006.
Honors and Awards
- Outstanding Teacher Award, Full-Time MBA Program, University of Miami., 2011
- Guest Associate Editor, Management Science, Special Issue on Behavioral Economics and Finance, 2010
- Faculty Honor Roll for Teaching Excellence, Undergraduate Business Council, University of Texas at Austin, Spring 2009
- CBA Foundation Research Excellence Award for Assistant Professors, McCombs School of Business, University of Texas at Austin, 2009
- BSI Gamma Foundation Research Grant, 2006
- Sage Fellowship, Cornell University, 2001-03
- Yale University Fellowship, 1998-2000
Teaching and Professional Experience
- Gabelli Asset Management Professor of Finance, School of Business Administration, University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL, January 2011 - Present
- Cesarano Scholar and Professor of Finance, School of Business Administration, University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL, June 2010 - December 2010
- Associate Professor of Finance (tenured), McCombs School of Business, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, September 2010 - May 2011
- Assistant Professor of Finance, McCombs School of Business, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, June 2006 - August 2010
- Assistant Professor of Finance, Mendoza College of Business, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN, June 2003 - May 2006
- Ph.D., Economics, Cornell University, 2003
- M.A., Economics, Cornell University, 2003
- M.A., Management (Finance), Yale University, 2001
- M.E., Engineering Management, Dartmouth College, 1993
- M.S., Engineering Sciences (Robotics), Dartmouth College, 1992
- B.Tech., (Hons), Mechanical Engineering , Indian Institute of Technology at Kharagpur, 1991
- Behavioral Finance
- Corporate Finance